[ale] James Gosling will be speaking at the Sept.AJUG meeting]

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 11:46:19 EDT 2006

Usual way of most OO languages, looks like. I do threading with the web
server (it's all just cgi-bin), so I haven't worried about this too very
much. Anyways, there's a Thread class, you sub-class off it to make your own
thread classes,  and then you override its "run" method to put in what you
want to do.

import threading

class my_thread (threading.Thread)

    def run(self):
           Run some thread code...

There's a bunch of python threading tutorials out there, of course. I
slobbed together a sample in 26 lines which counts for a whiles:

import threading
import time
import random

class A_Thread(threading.Thread):
   def __init__(self,name):
	threading.Thread.__init__(self)
	self.setName(name)

   def run(self):
	for kk in range(0,20):
		print self.getName() + " " + str(kk)
		time.sleep(int(random.random()*3))

if __name__ == "__main__" :

	names=["First","Second","Third", "Fourth", "Fifth", "Sixth"]
	for kk in names:
		vv = (A_Thread(kk))
		vv.start()

-- CHS