[ale] [please disregard former message] ^H or ^? shell problems

J. D. jdonline at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 17:33:09 EDT 2006

> What do you folks think?
>

> There are two ways to go about this, depending on what you can do:
>
>    1. Fix the terminal emulator that you are using, by telling it to
>    send whatever sequence is expected by the system in its default
>    configuration, *or*
>    2. Place the appropriate stty command in your login script.  If it
>    only happens with a certain type of terminal, then you may want to attempt
>    to detect what terminal that may be, and use stty appropriately.
>
> Unfortunately, not all terminals are made alike.  :-/
>
>     ? Mike

Mike,

     You were exactly right and thanks for the reply. I found the magic
words to Google that gave me parameters to pass to xterm to set it in such a
way that prevents the ^?. Handling the problem this way seemed like the most
simple way to solve it without messing with user environment settings.

The setting was -tm 'erase ^?'

Best regards,

J. D.