[ale] From DSL to Fiber

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Aug 24 16:15:51 EDT 2006

James P. Kinney III wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 15:30 -0400, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
>
>>On Thursday 24 August 2006 13:36, David A. De Graaf wrote:
>>| Precision in speaking and writing is essential for those who are
>>| learning, and a great timesaver for everyone.
>>|
>>| Question:  If an airplane flies at 200 knots/hr how long will it take
>>| to reach the speed of light?
>>|

>>Hmmmmm
>>
>>Knots = nautical miles (which equal 1.15 statute miles) per hour. I'm
>>not certain what "knots per hour" would mean.  And I'm all for
>>precision in speaking and writing. <grin>
>

> Ah. As I didn't know that knots was already a speed, then knots/hr is an
> acceleration (nautical miles/hr/hr). Thus at the end of the first hour,
> the plane would be traveling at 200 knots, the second hour it would at
> 400 knots, the third would be 600 knots, etc.
>
> It will still never reach the speed of light due to the wackiness of
> time/space and the issue of mass increasing to infinity as an object
> with mass approaches the speed of light.

Or maybe it would just start to melt and fall apart around
Mach 50 or so.  Not to mention the lawsuits that will begin
to fall like hot metallic rain on the pilot, owner, manufacturer,
and everyone else remotely involved in the entire escapade,
due to the massive destruction of property accompanying the
aircraft's violent passage and even more violent demise.
They'll be in court until the heat death of the universe.

-- JK