[ale] From DSL to Fiber

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Aug 24 15:41:24 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 15:30 -0400, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> On Thursday 24 August 2006 13:36, David A. De Graaf wrote:
> | Precision in speaking and writing is essential for those who are
> | learning, and a great timesaver for everyone.
> |
> | Question:  If an airplane flies at 200 knots/hr how long will it take
> | to reach the speed of light?
> |

> Hmmmmm
>
> Knots = nautical miles (which equal 1.15 statute miles) per hour. I'm
> not certain what "knots per hour" would mean.  And I'm all for
> precision in speaking and writing. <grin>

Ah. As I didn't know that knots was already a speed, then knots/hr is an
acceleration (nautical miles/hr/hr). Thus at the end of the first hour,
the plane would be traveling at 200 knots, the second hour it would at
400 knots, the third would be 600 knots, etc.

It will still never reach the speed of light due to the wackiness of
time/space and the issue of mass increasing to infinity as an object
with mass approaches the speed of light. Thus the energy required to
continue acceleration also rises to infinite. That's why it's called the
speed of light instead of the speed of stuff. :)