[ale] Hoosier Daddy? In Indiana Schools, It's Linux

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 11:54:03 EDT 2006

>Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:23:27 -0400
>From: "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com>
>
>FYI
>http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=192201386<http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=192201386>
>-jt

Awesome article! I especially liked this line:

>In surveying one classroom last year, he [Huffman] asked a student what he
thought of using a Linux desktop >  vs. a Windows desktop, and the student
responded, "Who cares?"

I think this speaks volumes about where Linux is right now. Huffman seemed
to be asking this question to a highschool student also, so I would assume
that he has much more experience with the Windows desktop.

 It's also good that the teachers are able to focus on the actual curriculum
and not have to talk about Linux or Open Source. I like how Linux is
allowing them to actually focus on their work without having to struggle
with the computer to get things done.

I wish I had this in highschool... So good job Daniel Howard and everyone
else who preaches Linux's viability in schools.

-Steve