[ale] OT: Oracle Monitoring Tools

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Aug 9 14:04:40 EDT 2006

Of course some people doing monitoring are not DBAs self respecting or
otherwise.  In many organizations the monitors are required by
management and managed by System Admins.

Here we do Nagios monitoring from a Management standpoint but it's
fairly minimal.  Just check whether tnsping to the instance works from
another server, whether the LSRN and PMON are up and whether concurrent
manager is running.   The DBAs here (presumably self respecting - I've
never asked) of course have additional monitoring they've configured.

So the question becomes how deeply are you trying to "monitor" the DB?

In other environments I've used Patrol which has prebuilt probes for
Oracle and other products.   However it is not cheap either.