[ale] Mandriva upgrade problem

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Sun Sep 25 14:26:51 EDT 2005

I feel like I am trying to get to the north pole by walking south.  The
earth is round and I'll get there but there is an easier way to proceed.

After chkconfig-ing YP off too, the next stop the boot process makes is
starting numlock!  How do you hang starting numlock?

I started browsing the config files in etc looking for the boot
script that Geoffery suggested that I find.  /etc/rc.d/init.d/ has all
the scripts in it that keep failing.  I don't know which script is the
boot script that calls the others.

Anyway... numlock is such a simple script I can read it and it is
failing then something pretty fundamental is out of place.  So I am
going to conclude that going from 9.2 to 10.2 is not practical and it's
time to install and just make sure /home is left alone during the
install.

Thanks for the help.  That chkconfig command is cool and I am not so
afraid of /etc/fstab anymore.

Mark