[ale] ThinkPad sound working

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 15 15:57:04 EDT 2005

How about ATI accelerated drivers?  I thought that was pretty mandatory for playing DVDs, games, fast OpenGL?  The Thinkpads have ATI graphics right?  I've never tried working on multimedia DVD players/decoders without enabling nvidia accelerated drivers first.  You know there is a text display driver for Mplayer or Xine!!  :-O

Once DMA is enabled and working then data tranfers from CD and DVD will be much faster and smoother.  Then, you have to have the decoder working too.  After that you have to have enough CPU power to drive the decoding.  Your video hardware has to be fast enough so you don't drop frames.  That is all I am aware of.  Surely it is the frame dropping problem your running into.  Just install the ATI accelerated drivers from ATI.  What is your video card/chipset?

On SUSE you can go to the packman links4linux site and download a script that will grab all the needed components for the decoding and will locally compile the source and then even install it.  A precompiled Mplayer is the easiest to use, especially once you have installed the win32 codecs.
Dow