[ale] Smoothwall with DSL. was Speedfactory dropping USENET news

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Thu Sep 8 11:06:37 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 07 September 2005 11:14 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> William Bagwell wrote:

> > Anything special involved? (Just DSL, not the voip.) Which one keeps
> > the default IP address when they both want the same one?
>
> The firewall get's the ip, and I nat everything behind it.  It's quite
> simple to setup.  You can do it during installation of smoothwall, or
> you can configure it after you've installed it.  All you need is the
> auth. info which the isp provides.

So I just leave the DSL box un-configured and Smoothwall communicates
*through* it, not *to* it?

>>snips
> > Current (remaining?) problem is weird
> > intermittent DNS issues that only effect *some* computers. Been pulling
> > my hair out over this one for a few days, error message is too generic
> > to be of any use as a search string.
>
> Differences in OSs?  Are they getting dynamic dns from the firewall?

Think so though other possibilities remain, a fully patched Mandriva 10.2
and an ancient Win 98SE box both work. Various other Mandrakes and a SUSE
time out on approximately 40% of all web sites. Including Google, which
will work with an IP address so I know this is a DNS issue. Other web sites
work first time.... Some sites (not Google) will eventually load if you
keep trying. My son reports that Knoppix works on one computer that nothing
else will.

In this case the DSL box is the DNS / firewall <cough>, and yes they all
have it listed second (after localhost) in resolv.conf.
--
William