[ale] Smoothwall with DSL. was Speedfactory dropping USENET news

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Sep 7 11:14:34 EDT 2005

William Bagwell wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 September 2005 08:12 am, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>I've configured pppoe on
>>a smooth wall firewall with voip behind it.
>

> Anything special involved? (Just DSL, not the voip.) Which one keeps the
> default IP address when they both want the same one?

The firewall get's the ip, and I nat everything behind it.  It's quite
simple to setup.  You can do it during installation of smoothwall, or
you can configure it after you've installed it.  All you need is the
auth. info which the isp provides.

> Was working on this a few weeks ago and had to put it on the back burner.
> Lost a computer, three NIC's, and a switch to lightning. Even one of the
> four ports on the brand new DSL box! (Think this last one may be related to
> the new problem below) Also lost TVs both here and next door.... Not a
> direct strike, but close enough my daughter got burned by her mouse.

Ouch, that's kinda scary.

> Between limited time with the new job and being a total zombie from third
> shift, it took me an embarrassingly long time to get back (mostly) to where
> I was. Current (remaining?) problem is weird intermittent DNS issues that
> only effect *some* computers. Been pulling my hair out over this one for a
> few days, error message is too generic to be of any use as a search string.

Differences in OSs?  Are they getting dynamic dns from the firewall?

> Smoothwall as a central point may eliminate all the DNS issues. Worked great
> with a modem for over a year. Had come to the conclusion a few weeks ago
> that I needed to reinstall with the correct hardware. May not have needed to
> originally, but after mucking with it for several days pretty sure I do
> now:-(

pppoe is easier to setup then modem on smoothwall. :)

--
Until later, Geoffrey