[ale] Enterprise Linux's

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Oct 10 22:16:54 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 18:55 -0400, Bob Toxen wrote:
> One of my clients who does pay for RHEL support tried the support.  He
> got a woman in Singapore whose English was too poor for him to understand
> her.  So much for support or "buying American".

That truly stinks. I have never used RedHat's support for anything so I
don't know if it's worth anything. But what you described is the reason
I dropped Mindspring after 10 years.

> An alternative to paying for support for all of your RHEL systems is to
> pay for one and then scp the RPMs.  The GPL prohibits an organization from
> placing restrictions on any GPL'ed code it distributes.  Commingling, e.g.,
> Red Hat's BS "you can't copy 'cause of our trademarked images" makes the
> entire thing GPL'ed as per the GPL.  Don't believe me, seek competent
> legal advice.

RedHat has done much to support the Linux community, but the pricing
scheme they currently use is ludicrous for nearly any one. Their lawyers
are overzealous, as well.

RedHat's big screwup was they glued their trademarked logo onto packages
that were sent out with GPL licensing. Then their lawyers went balistic.
So they repackaged their logo's into a single package for the RH "look
and feel" and STILL put it out as GPL (so others could also work with
the look and feel package). Good heart, bad lawyers.

Centos uses the RHAS source rpms and builds the binaries from that. All
of it is GPL'ed and they WANT you proudly display their logo on
everything you copy and give away. Works just fine!
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>