[ale] Big Brother Wins, We lose... From /. Real-ID Passes U.S. Senate 100-0

Randal Jarrett rsj at radio.org
Wed May 11 13:32:23 EDT 2005

In general, I don't have a problem with the federal government setting a
standard for the states to follow with drivers license format.

I do have a problem with the amount of information that they may contain
and the way it is presented.

    This would be the normal information that is already on the front of
most driver licenses.  The same information would be digitally presented
by whatever means dediced, (rfid, mag stripe, optical) with an
encryption key.

    This method would allow the visible information on the front to be
verified by anyone with the appropiate reader.

    Then anything else deemed needed by "Homeland Security", (remember,
congress left it up to DHS to decide method and content), could be
digitally encrypted with law enforcement and gonvernmental equipment
would have the decryption key.

Or, would it not be prudent to just have the minimum information on the
license needed for ID?  Then there could be an encoded (or maybe not
necessary) ID number in the digital information. In today's age of
instant digital communications especially by law enforcement and
government agencies, they could reference this ID the same way they now
do our driver license number and get additional information if they have
the need to know and are authorized. This should not present them with
any restrictions or delay in recovering the information.

This last method would apply the checks needed to prevent the access of
'private' information.

Randy