[ale] Where is X11 overwriting my environmentals?

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 11:24:02 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:18:22 -0500, Mills, John M. <Mills.J at ems-t.com> wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> Topic pretty much says it. I tried setting a particular environmental in
> '/etc/profile' and then found it overwritten when I did an X11 login and
> opened an Xterm under Gnome - or for that matter when I did an ssh remote
> console login.

What was the variable name?  Was it overwritten, or unset?

If you can privide the code snippet that wasn't working I think this
would be easier to debug.

The right way to set the environment for everyone is to create a small
script which sets the variable and name is
/etc/profile.d/something.sh.  When bash starts it sources all the *.sh
files in /etc/profile.d.

Michael