[ale] Where is X11 overwriting my environmentals?

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Thu Mar 17 12:20:26 EST 2005

James -

Thanks for writing.

From: James Sumners

>JS First, why would you be editing /etc/profile for a single user?

I'm editing it for all users. Its settings seem to be overwritten so I was
looking at the individual-user level. What I actually want is all users to
have the given setting, and just override it for _root_.

>JS Second, what distribution are you using? If you are using Debian then
>JS the preferred file to edit would be `~/.xsession`. I believe other
>JS distributions honor the settings in `~/.xinitrc` as well.

It's an old RH-7.3, but your suggestions probably still apply.

>JS `man x 7`

Thanks - I went there but didn't recognize the answer to my question.

John M. Mills
Staff Engineer
EMS Technologies
660 Engineering Drive