[ale] VPN choices...

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Tue Mar 8 18:08:52 EST 2005

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 12:36 pm, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:38:44 -0500, David Corbin <dcorbin at machturtle.com>
wrote:
> > Our IT guy is looking to replace our current VPN solution.  Of course,
> > I'd like to see him using something Linux compatible, but he's a very
> > MS-kind-of-guy. So, the question is, what Linux based firewall/VPN
> > solutions are available that meet these requirements:
>
> Here's your first problem. Your stated objective is not to get the
> proper solution implemented, but to get a Linux solution implemented.
> That's a bad way to look at things. There is a world of difference
> between "Linux compatible" and "Linux based."

Well, my personal concern is compatible with Linux clients.  You're right that
I don't really care if it runs on Linux, but if it's open source and does run
Linux, I know it fits the price range :)

> That said...
>
> How many concurrent users are we talking about here?

There are ~30 people in the company.  Probably 5-10 at anyone time is more
than we'd need, but I don't really know.

> How much available bandwidth is there?

Fractional T1.  I think it's 512kbps, but don't know for sure.

> What type of authentication do you want/need to support?

Our current system (which has problems) uses a password and a pre-shared key.
Something similar woudl be good.