[ale] Otish - Network Setup Fee Questions

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jun 30 16:22:32 EDT 2005

Bob Toxen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:16:26AM -0400, I. Herman wrote:
>>All --
>>I'm trying to get an average idea of what everyone would charge to go in and
>>set up a small office.
>
>>What would you all charge per hour to set up ONLY the networking side of a
>>small business office (about 10 computers).  This would include the router,
>>wireless, and PC configuration as well as any firewalling.
> Call up some other companies and find out what THEY charge.  This can vary
> a LOT.  Be sure to have a contract that spells out what will and won't be
> done and says something about liability for errors, payment terms, etc.

I've checked into this recently.  Geek Squad, MicroCenter and there's
another I can't recall off hand.  Both Geek Squad and 'forgotten'
company charge in excess of $200/hour for such services.  Microcenter
charges for the service in most cases, not by the hour, but they are
still pretty high if you consider what you get for the money.

I suspect many of these folks will be lowering their prices in the
future, once it all shakes out.  Another issue is that the people
employed to provide these services lack any real knowledge, but simply
operate like phone support folks for large computer companies.  They
operate from a script.  If something doesn't fit the script, they either
can not do it, or the price is jacked substantially for that service.

--
Until later, Geoffrey