[ale] /tmp set to read-only on boot (need help)

Ryan Fish fishr at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 16 12:01:04 EDT 2005

I'm not sure why, but /tmp is set to read-only on a RHEL3 AS server.  I am trying to set it back to allow writing but am failing so far.

Here is what I am seeing (I am unable to write to /tmp in any manner.):

[root at mcdb02 root]# crontab -e
/tmp/crontab.17515: Read-only file system

When trying to force the mounts to setup I see the following:

[root at mcdb02 root]# mount -a
mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /boot busy

There is no mention of /tmp in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

I can write to other locations on the server.

Any ideas on what I can try to get this fixed?  I guess a clean reboot should allow it to function properly again but I am trying to get by without doing that.

Thank you.
-Ryan