[ale] ssh authorized_keys2, what am I missing?

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 13:49:43 EDT 2005

On 6/8/05, Jason Day <jasonday at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 01:18:08PM -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> >       (a) You're putting the public key in .ssh/authorized_keys2
> >       (b) .ssh/authorized_keys2 hard linked with .ssh/authorized_keys
>
> I can never remember when to use authorized_keys vs. authorized_keys2.
> I just checked the ssh man page, and it says:
>
>     The file $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys lists the public keys that are
>     permitted for logging in.
>
> There is no mention of authorized_keys2.  This is for openssh 3.9_p1.
> Maybe authorized_keys2 is no longer used, or specific to ssh.com?

That's been a bug in the documentation for years.  It never has said
authorized_keys2 in any man page I've read, but it has been necessary
for quite a while.

Is it possible that your key file is in DOS mode and that corrupted
the authorized_keys2 file?  I don't know how ssh responds to the
presence of CRs.

Michael