[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 21:45:18 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 21:04 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> James Sumners wrote:
> > That is my point. With Debian you don't have to go through extra steps
> > to get a basic install. It defaults to the most basic GNU/Linux OS you
> > can have. See my response to ChangingLinks for more on this one.
>
> So, what does the average user want?  a minimal install or a maximum
> one?  Neither, likely somewhere inbetween.  SuSE, Mandrake and RH give
> you what they expect the general server or desktop is going to need.

Debian gives you the option (it simply runs tasksel after install) to
select what, if any, package groups you want.  You can even do this from
the 32MB business-card cdimage and it will download the necessary
packages.  With RH you have to have the CDs, no package group download
is available during the install phase (not that it's a big deal).   I
don't recall what all the Debian package groups are, but they certainly
included things like Gnome, KDE, Development, Services, etc.

-Jim P.