[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jun 4 21:14:54 EDT 2005

James Sumners wrote:
> That is my point. With Debian you don't have to go through extra steps
> to get a basic install. It defaults to the most basic GNU/Linux OS you
> can have. See my response to ChangingLinks for more on this one.

So, what does the average user want?  a minimal install or a maximum
one?  Neither, likely somewhere inbetween.  SuSE, Mandrake and RH give
you what they expect the general server or desktop is going to need.

I'm most familiar with Suse and it will look at your hard drive and
suggest the best solution it 'thinks' is going to suite the average
user's needs as well as available space.  Generally it's kde desktop
with X.  If you have less space, it will suggest a non-kde X
environment.  If you have even less, it will default to the minimal install.

Further, the person who wants a minimal install is most likely going to
be knowledgable enough to figure out how to do that.  I mean, come on,
how difficult is a gui point and click install?

My daughter installed 9.2 on her computer with me sitting by her side.
I walked her through things to watch for.  She has since upgraded to 9.3
on her own.  She's 13.  Even she is able to determine what she want's or
doesn't want when installing.

--
Until later, Geoffrey