[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Sat Jun 4 11:31:31 EDT 2005

On Saturday June 04 2005 07:09, Stuffed Crust wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:03:42PM -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> > Unlike certain other distributions that have multiple CDs, Debian only
> > requires the first one for a fully working installation :)
>
> While I can't speak for SuSe, I know Mandrake and Fedora are perfectly
> usable with only one install CD.

One only needs the first CD with Suse.
Suse's strength is on the net install. I love it!
(I'm wondering which distro James is talking about. I suspect ALL distros have
a 1 CD "base" install.)

> I prefer using full install CDs to NetInstalls (uneless I create a local
> mirror, anyway) because then I don't need anything else to get a system
> up and running.  The internet is not reliable.
>
>  - Solomon

I've never had a problem doing a netinstall with Suse. I've even started the
installs on several machines before going to bed - to wake up to a (almost)
finished install on each. Connection speed and downtime have not been a
problem. Stability is fine.

--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown