[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jun 2 22:11:26 EDT 2005

Thomas Holmquist wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 20:41 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Thomas Holmquist wrote:

>>>Lemme list a few reasons I use Debian-stable on my servers:
>>>1.) Extremly stable - Nothing changes, nothing breaks.
>>
>>I can say the same for Red Hat and SuSE.
>
> yes, but nothing has changed since 2002 - that means an ultra available
> server that needs not go down for upgrades.

Gee, why didn't you stay with Debian 1.0, you could still be running
since 1997 without needs to go down for upgrades (or security patches??)

No security patches to your kernel since 2002?  You are asking for
trouble.  I could easily be still running Red Hat 5.0..

>>>2.) Works on all sorts of architectures/hardware. (Hell, my Zaurus PDA
>>>runs Debian!)
>>
>>And what server processes are you running on your Zaurus?
>

> Never said it was a server, but yes, it does run SSH, and has (in the
> past) run thttpd, boa, apache, and a VNC server, hell it runs X, that's
> a server ;)

You started off your response with:

'Lemme list a few reasons I use Debian-stable on my servers:'

So that item is irrelevant to your posting.

>>>3.) Works great on old hardware.
>>
>>Slackware.
>>

>>>4.) Has a small install footprint, It's using a whole 250 MB on one of
>>>my computers. (this is from a normal debian install, on a production
>>>box, I in no way tried to lighten up the install.)
>>
>>Slackware has it beat.  I've gotten it under a 100 mb (10.1).
>

> whoops sorry I had a kernel in /usr/src... let's exclude that...
> 167mb including gcc, and perl

Still got you beat.

>>>5.) THE LARGEST software repository available for any distro.
>>
>>Can't argue with you there, but I've yet to find something I need that
>>wasn't available on RH or SuSE.  After all, how many browsers does one
>>really need.
>
> well let's see... in my case... 6 browsers.

Right.

--
Until later, Geoffrey