[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 21:30:55 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 20:41 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> > 4.) Has a small install footprint, It's using a whole 250 MB on one of
> > my computers. (this is from a normal debian install, on a production
> > box, I in no way tried to lighten up the install.)
>
> Slackware has it beat.  I've gotten it under a 100 mb (10.1).

Not to start a 'mine is smaller than yours contest' but the poster was
stating that Debian does 250MB installs by default (assuming no GUI,
etc).  However, if you do an expert install you can pare it down to a
very workable system in less than 40MB, probably even less if you don't
need things like bsd tools, iptables, etc.

-Jim P.