[ale] comcast static IP?

Brian MacLeod bmacleod at guc.usg.edu
Tue Jan 25 11:22:19 EST 2005

> But you and/or others have said that it's the amount of
> equipment not the bandwidth used.  Your previous logic was
> that 2 machines NOT using any bandwidth was a violation of
> some contract, one that nobody can seem
> to provide a sample of.   The 80% has nothing to do with quantity of
> equipment in the home, and everything to do with usage (even
> one computer is capable of useing 80% of a 3Mb download).

I never argued equipment, other than what the contract itself states.  I
also meant 100% of a 3mb download bandwidth, 80% of 24 hrs, on a
constant daily basis.  Huge difference in numbers.

If you're pulling that much bandwidth, you're costing them more than
they have provisioned (not more than you are paying, mind you).

---HUGE SNIP---

I'm simply arguing that the reason the provision of one device is in
there is for bandwidth hogs who eat more bandwidth than the company
provisioned for.  It gives them an easy out.  No more, no less.