[ale] comcast static IP?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 16:23:17 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 15:59 -0500, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> On Sunday 23 January 2005 02:02 pm, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> | That seems to be the general consensus of most Speakeasy/SpeedFactory
> | customers so far.  I don't have the need for a static IP at home, and I
> | don't rely on my transit provider to provide email services.
>
> Jim,
> What is the BS charge if you want to have more than one machine
> (from the in-home network) accessing the internet?

It depends.  They charge per IP, so if you need multiple IPs there is a
charge.  I don't know what this is as I don't use BellSouth, I use
Comcast.

> When last I checked, that wasn't permitted on a "home" account.
> It required a "business" account with a second, serious, upcharge
> for a "business" phone line.

That line of thinking is pretty dated, I don't know of any provider that
enforces that mentality today.  Who doesn't have a broadband router at
home with at least a printer and wifi device on the same line as their
computer?  The DSL/Cable providers have realized that they have no
strength inside of a consumer's home other then leased equipment.

> You also wrote:
>
> |  I only need to talk to someone when their side fails.
>
> Maybe you have had better luck with BS tech/customer support than
> I have.  The last time I tried to use words like "DSL connection,"
> "ping" and "DNS server" this dialog ensued:

Perhaps you shouldn't have tried to use those words?  ;-)  If there was
an issue, all you had to do was report it.  I'll agree that a lot of the
CSRs are limited in their skills, you and I trying to speak to them at a
higher level would surely not work.  Sometimes you have to be creative
in solving a problem by presenting it as something they can understand
and address.

> BS:   What version of Windows are you using?
> Me:   I'm not; I use Linux.

Mistake.  Why not just say Windows?  Step back for a moment. Are you
after solving the problem or advocating Linux?  You and I know that if
it is a IP connectivity problem that the OS doesn't matter.  Dragging an
un-skilled CSR down your path isn't going to motivate them into opening
a trouble ticket that leads to resolution.

-Jim P.