[ale] comcast static IP?

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Sun Jan 23 16:04:02 EST 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 02:02 pm, Jim Popovitch wrote:
| That seems to be the general consensus of most Speakeasy/SpeedFactory
| customers so far. ?I don't have the need for a static IP at home, and I
| don't rely on my transit provider to provide email services.

Jim,
What is the BS charge if you want to have more than one machine
(from the in-home network) accessing the internet?  When last
I checked, that wasn't permitted on a "home" account. It required
a "business" account with a second, serious, upcharge for a
"business" phone line.

You also wrote:

|  I only need to talk to someone when their side fails.

Maybe you have had better luck with BS tech/customer support than
I have.  The last time I tried to use words like "DSL connection,"
"ping" and "DNS server" this dialog ensued:

BS:   What version of Windows are you using?
Me:   I'm not; I use Linux.
BS:   I'm sorry, sir. There is no way we can help you.
Me:   Can I speak with your supervisor?
BS:   Certainly, sir.
<HOLD>
BS:   This is <name>. How can I help you?
Me:   <repeat technical problem using technical buzz words>
BS:   What version of Windows are you using?
Me:   I'm not using Windows.   And this isn't a software problem.
      It's a hardware problem somewhere on your line.
BS:   I'm sorry, sir. If you aren't using Windows I don't know
      how I can help you.
Me:   Thank you. <hangup>

Went back to Speakeasy tech support, got from them another BS
telephone number to call for tech support/customer service (as
opposed to customer service/tech support) and finally got to a
supervisor (two up as I recall) who understood what I was saying.
Two days later the third pole climber found and fixed the problem.
I do remember that the call center that was, finally, able to help
me was in Macon.
My point is that it took both Speakeasy and me badgering BS to
get them to move on the problem.

Sean