[ale] Cut me some slack...

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Wed Jan 19 18:41:41 EST 2005

    Well I d/l Slackware 10.0 a few days back to run a server. Slackware
is the first distribution I had success with and suck to for quite a
while since 1995. Shortly thereafter I moved to RedHat and have
primarily been using that or Mandrake ever since. I like the simplicity
(i.e. less fluff, not less capable) of the distribution but I'm running
into a couple of problems.

    First, uname -i & -p are not working - they return 'unknown'. This
is on an Athlon box so maybe it has something to do with the processor.
This is pretty important for building gcc and a lot of other
configure-based source distributions. Someone mentioned something about
a new coreutils package on IRC but I've got the latest one according to
the slackware site.

    Second, the ANNOUNCE.10_0 claims that Slackware comes with a 2.6
kernel option but the directory it wants me to look into simply doesn't
exist. Er... ok well now (as I type) I finally got a google link that
points me to an article that points me to the right location. This is an
example where wrong docs are worse than no docs at all it seems... we'll
see how that goes!

    Does seem to be a distinct absense of support for Slackware than the
other major distros. Guess this comes from being non-commercial. Oh
well... if this doesn't work out perhaps I'll give Gentoo another shot.
I understand they've improved the install process finally. :)

    thanx,

       -- Ben Scherrey