[ale] Upgrade hell

Cor van Dijk cor.angela at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 18 21:09:20 EST 2005

Greetings,

For years I had RH 6.2 running on my Sony laptop without any problem.
To get usb support I tried to switch to RH Enterprise 3.3  (which is
running fine
on a regular PC.) Halfway through the setup process I am told that  the
machine
- that is the laptop - is not supported.

Then I tried to upgrade using  RH 7.2, which has been running for years
on a regular
PC without ever any problem. That upgrade  worked. However, every now
and then
I get a hang when in an X screen; it does not do that in a startup console.

I then tried a complete reinstall of RH 7.2, reformatting all partitions
and checking for bad blocks, but with the same result: hangs!
I ran a memtest for several hours: zero errors. No interrupt conflicts
that I can see.

It appears that there is a bug in the X-machinery or maybe in the Gnome
stuff.
Anybody seen this? Any fix?

Any help is appreciated, Cor van Dijk.