[ale] Bellsouth DSL

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Mon Jan 10 11:03:45 EST 2005

On 10 Jan 2005, at 08:58, Jerald Sheets wrote:

> I mean, these are all the services we had free when
> yahoo! was announced in '93 (or was it '92??)

Try '94... and unless you were at Stanford working off the creators
workstations, '95.

> Why should BellSouth force me to
> use their servers?

Because BellSouth is being a good network neighbor. If you're really
interested in this answer grep through the archives of NANAE, NANOG,
and Spam-L. Port 25 blocking on dynamic ranges is a Good Thing (tm),
and even if the major players in the dynamic space didn't agree, I'd
recommend every mail server possible reject mail from known dynamic
ranges (as many of them do).

> After all, if I want to receive and send email from 7
> different POP/SMTP locations (which I have), then I
> should be allowed to do so.

Authenticated SMTP is useful for this. And if you don't wish to use
BellSouth's ASMTP servers, then port 587 exist _precisely_ for this
purpose: To allow for the submission of mail from client to server over
an authenticated channel. I don't know anyone who blocks outbound 110
or 587.

If you wish to send mail from N locations you must have some sort of
authentication in place and ASMTP, being built into almost every mail
client, is the best way to do this. If you don't wish to authenticate
and still send mail from your own SMTP server then I recommend everyone
block you. You are an open relay.

> For *YEARS* I have asked for an ISP that doesn't treat
> me like a moron...someone who will give me an IP and
> bandwidth, and leave me the F%^&* alone.  Speedfactory
> does that, and I appreciate them for it.

Speedfactory also provides reverse records that are very easy to filter
on as dynamic which makes it extremely easy for ISPs to block their
clients without blocking their servers, and I appreciate them for it.

On 10 Jan 2005, at 10:45, Mike Murphy wrote:

> And yes, SPF holds promise, but I doubt it will eliminate all spam,
> and the over/under on widespread enough implementation of it to the
> point where it makes a difference is probably 3 - 5 years.

SPF is not a spam solution and people who see it as such are going to
be very, very disappointed.

---
James Baldwin