[ale] Bellsouth DSL

Wesley Stevens stev9161 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 9 12:12:27 EST 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:

>I've been a long time customer of Comcast, and despite opinions
>expressed on this list, I decided to try out Bellsouth's DSL service.
>
>In short, I like it.  What I don't understand is why did I not have all
>the problems that others seemed to have had, or more interestingly what
>I would really like to know is why did my setup go so easy.  All I had
>to do was put the DLS filter in-line with my phone, connect a a RJ11
>cable between the filter and the modem (Westell) and plug an ethernet
>cable from the modem into my linux laptop.  I then pointed my webbrowser
>at http://192.168.1.254 and configured my Bellsouth username and
>password before pressing the Connect button.  Immediately it pulled down
>an IP and associated info.  Since I wanted to attach the DSL line to my
>home network, via a switch port on my Linksys AP, I turned off the DHCP
>server on the Westell and changed it's internal static IP to
>192.168.3.254.
>
>Why is that process so painful for all those people who call Bellsouth
>names?
>
>-Jim P.

    I been running bellsouth dsl for about 2 years now at 1st it took
about 2 months everything started to work. But when stuff started its
been good (ive been on better but thats when i lived in Fl.) just
recently i upgraded my service to top res grade it only took 3 days
after ordering over the net and about a week before it was a stable
connection. i think i rather be on speekeasy but my local dslam won't go
any faster (i ask a repair guy that was working on it)
    but to your question i think its more about the service after that
process.