[ale] Need to edit down a 2GB file.

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Fri Apr 15 07:03:57 EDT 2005

If you literally only need the top part of the file, you could use the "head"
command and specify the number of lines, like this:
head -n 1000 mbox > newmbox  (for 1000 lines)
then you'd need to check to make sure it ends somewhere safe, like the end of
a message, of course.

or you could use the 'split' command, to split the file into chunks, and use
an editor to remove the stuff you don't need, and cat them all back together.

-Jay