[ale] Linux Evangelism

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Apr 13 13:15:11 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 16:31 +0100, Jay Loden wrote:

> My school actually purchased a whole set of laptops for the astronomy classes
> and a program called Starry Night for them.  That (expensive) program, as far
> as I can tell, is basically identical to KStars.  Before I graduate I want to
> show my old astronomy professor a copy of Kstars and see what he thinks...who
> knows, maybe they'll even use it instead of an expensive program that eats
> the department budget.

There is a HUGE array of astronomy applications for Linux. Most physicas
and astronomy departments in universities are big users of Linux. There
is an entire "Astronomy for Linux" 2 CD set that really simplifies the
installation of all of the tools.

A caveat: the vast majority of the aastronomy tools are geared for
professional astronomers.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>