[ale] email backup

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 09:18:17 EDT 2004

On 29 Sep 2004 08:57:09 -0400, James P. Kinney III
<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> Several people have been asking me lately how to back up their email
> files in M$ Outbreak. There is no consistent was to tell people _how_ to
> find their email files as the entire mess is under multiple hidden
> directories and has numerous gibberish names designed to prevent mortals
> from finding these things.
>
> Does anyone have a backup application that works well for email backups
> and restores?
>
> One of these folks hit the file size limit with a 2 Gig inbox on win2k.
> It crashed making a Bad Day (tm).
> --
> James P. Kinney III          \Changing the mobile computing world/

Being able to backup/restore e-mail on a message by message basis is
surprisingly rare.

Just recently, most of the commercial backup software claim to handle
exchange servers via a special api that gives them "brick level"
backup.

If your talking standalone outlook, then I'm not sure how to do a
"brick level" backup/restore without an all or nothing approach.

As far as the 2 GB limit, your users can create multiple PST files on
their harddisk.  Each PST is limited to 2 GB, not the total (as I
understand it.).

Then they can have outlook attached to all the PSTs simultaneously and
move messages between them.

An obvious situation is they can create a personal.pst file (via
outlook), then move all their personal messages into there.  I don't
know the actual mouse clicks to make this happen, but I know we have
to support users that have this sort of setup.  Recently, I saw system
with 30 or so PST files in use.

HTH
Greg
--