[ale] Ghost for Linux

Barry Rountree rountree at cs.uga.edu
Tue Sep 28 21:30:30 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 09:10 pm, Robert Heaven wrote:

> Can I install a new hard drive (set the old one to master and the new
> one to slave), boot from a Knoppix CD and "dd" the old to new drive?

Yes, but that presupposes the old drive will last long enough to finish the
dd.  Copying your most important files and directories off first would be
good.  If the hard drive is still holding up, then try the dd.

> Does it copy the partition table?

Yes, if you copy from the hard drive device.  Something like:

	dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdd bs=256M

Check knoppix's /etc/fstab for the correct devices to use.

> What happens to the extra space if the
> new drive is bigger than the old one?

I expect you can still get to it with fdisk and from there create new
partitions.

> This box was originally a dual boot with Win2k and RH-8 (Grub boot
> loader) but, not being a geek, he never boots to Linux. Will "dd"
> preserve the dual boot?

Yup.

Good luck!

Barry