[ale] Ghost for Linux

Robert Heaven robertheaven at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 28 21:15:49 EDT 2004

This discussion brings up something I think I need. My son called me
today and said his Win2k box was having problems where it would suddenly
make a clanking noise and then freeze. (sounds like the hard drive is
about to die)

Can I install a new hard drive (set the old one to master and the new
one to slave), boot from a Knoppix CD and "dd" the old to new drive?
Does it copy the partition table? What happens to the extra space if the
new drive is bigger than the old one?

This box was originally a dual boot with Win2k and RH-8 (Grub boot
loader) but, not being a geek, he never boots to Linux. Will "dd"
preserve the dual boot?