[ale] Firefox & IE ... yada yada yada

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Tue Sep 21 15:09:27 EDT 2004

james at sumners.ath.cx wrote:
> You would like to think so but that isn't accurate. Yes, you can go to
> add/remove programs and "uninstall" IE, and you don't have to install
> SP1 to do it. But, it does nothing other than remove the shortcuts and
> mime type references to the program. It is still installed and Windows
> will still use it to display web pages and help files. The ONLY way to
> "uninstall" it is to get a third party utility that will do
> it. And then
> chances are great that the system is no longer going to work
> properly if
> at all.
>
> Gee, I wonder why MS wanted to make it such an integral part of the
> operating system.

Well, to be fair, BeOS's browser was integrated into its' system like IE is with XP.  This way your file manager is your browser that is your (active) desktop.  From my (limited) understanding it is more efficient.

In fact, it seems like Konqueror acts much the same way (browser/file manager/viewer) _except_ that it is not tied to the kernel.

Preston