[ale] What's so special about gmail invites?

runman at speedfactory.net runman at speedfactory.net
Tue Sep 7 14:49:00 EDT 2004

On 9/7/2004, "Jason Day" <jasonday at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 03:07:09PM +0000, runman at speedfactory.net wrote:
>[...]
>> However, when I send an
>> email to someone's gmail address - a "private" email - I shouldn't
>> have to worry about it being in the public domain
>
>Why not?  This is the point I've been trying to make since this thread
>started: email is not private or secure.  Period.

Then you need to either 1)take a law class to become more familiar with
your rights or you can just 2) notice how Google changed their policies
after a CA court came down with a ruling that yes, Virginia your email
to Santa is indeed considered private.  Private correspondence has
always been and still is private - regardless of the form it takes.
Recall how one needs a subpoena or warrant to get mail from an ISP ????
Wonder why messing with the USPS is a "Federal offense" and not some
local misdemeanor ??  A reasonable person (s) has a reasonable
expectation of privacy in email.   That is the standard.  Period.  There
is a considerable amount of case law about privacy and what it takes to
violate it on the part of the government and others.

Yes, I know it goes thru many servers, but so does your letter go thru
many hands.  I seriously doubt too many ISP?s want to embark on a
?dedicated and massive data mining effort? to read everyone?s email like
Google is in the process of doing with gmail.  And yes, I am well aware
that email is insecure and not as private as whispering in someone?s ear
. but that is the state of technology ? and not a deliberate act on the
part of Google.  What I am saying is if you want to give up your rights
then fine ? do so.  *But* I chose not to do so and thus Google needs to
keep their data mining mitts off of my correspondence.  I know that the
technology is insecure, but there is a difference between the reality of
the situation and a deliberate act.

  If it's a truly