[ale] Q: StarOffice and labels

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Oct 25 08:24:48 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 22:43, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> I seem to be stuck making labels using StarOffice-6.0 - OO may use the
> same procedures. Here's what I've done:
>
> 1. Entered my address list in spreadsheet form, with column (field) labels
> in the first row: "FirstName LastName Address1 ..."
>
> 2. Saved the results as both a StarOffice spreadsheet file and CSV text
> file.
>
> 3. Tried to create a sheet of labels based on that source starting with
> the various SO-6 wizards, etc.
>
> I also imported the list into Netscape as an address book and tried to
> link that back to SO-6 as my address source, with the same results.
>
> Whatever I do, I get a single page with the proper label layout, _but_
> each label has the same text: the names of my fields. It looks as though
> I've created a rather uninteresting set of _return_address_ (identical)
> labels based on the first line of my spreadsheet.
>
> Any clues for this pilgrim?

Make sure the datasource is set up properly with the "view->datasources"
routine. If you can't get a listing of the individual records in a box
at the top of the OOo screen, it's not working yet.

Once you have the master label format using the "Insert-> field->other"
select "database" tab and choose mail merge fields process, the secret
to getting the it to work is to print the labels using the mail merge
found under "tools" (in v. 1.1.1). It will pop-up a dialog box to choose
which records to use.

I have been able to do this from both a simple spreadsheet (my spice
rack for making lable for my new spice jars) and from an ODBC database
in PostgreSQL for business letters.