[ale] Fedora as a server?

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Fri May 21 10:09:15 EDT 2004

I've got to move from one hosted server to a newer one (well...am being
strongly encouraged and think it's an awfully good idea).  My current
machine runs RH7.3, on which I've conquered problems with cyrus and exim
as well as happily running apache 2, php, mysql and a small handful of
other things.

My options for a new server are Fedora 1, something called Tao Enterprise
Linux that I've never heard of, and freebsd 4.8.  I can pay a good bit
extra to do RH Enterprise, which I do not need nor want.  The machine is
hosted at Xilogix if anyone has any Xilogix-specific advice -- I've been
really happy with them so I'm not interested in investigating other host
options that may have other OSs.

Is Fedora even suitable as a server OS?  What are the differences between
it and 7.3 from a strictly command-line point of view (ie - does it do
startup scripts differently? Does it put its libraries someplace
different? Is it easy to lock down without breaking?)  What about going
from Linux to FreeBSD?

Has anybody compiled cyrus (from source -- _not_ a package) on either
Fedora or FreeBSD?  Any pros/cons?  Cyrus is my big sticking point here --
I know how to make it work on RH7 and am afraid of moving it.

What it boils down to is -- what would you pick to run your web/email
services?

All advice is appreciated.

Many thanks
jenn

--
Jenn Taylor
jtaylor at onlinea.com

Obviously, a man's judgement cannot be better than the information on which he
has based it.  Give him the truth and he may still go wrong when he has
the chance to be right, but give him no news or present him only with distorted
and incomplete data, with ignorant, sloppy or biased reporting, with propaganda
and deliberate falsehoods, and you destroy his whole reasoning processes, and
make him something less than a man.
-- Arthur Hays Sulzberger