[ale] DSPAM

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu May 13 13:18:01 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 23:36, Byron A Jeff wrote:

> Also this looks like a perfect setup for a config file. There should be no
> reason that I have to recompile and reinstall just to get these features.
> I put config files in even the most simple of my applications.

It would be nice if it was in a config file. But dspam gets called for
every incoming email so I guess it would slow it down too much. Compiled
in options are _so_ 80's :)

> > I'm using the db4 stuff. One of the big gotcha's is "delivery to std
> > out". Don't set that to "true". To stop getting the spam delivered to
> > the inbox, "--disable-spam-delivery".
>
> Well don't you think that should be on by default?! I'm installing a SPAM
> filter to get rid of spam. I don't want it delivered to my mailbox. BTW
> where does spam droppings go if not to the inbox?

The place is the quarantine. It is in the
/var/lib/dspam/x/y/username/username.mbox file  where the "x" and "y"
are the first 2 letters of the username if using the  large-scale
setting.

> Anyway if it gets rid of the spam effectively, then I guess I can afford to
> suffer a bit getting it configured. I'll keep slugging until I get it working.
Other than the bums and bruises on the learning curve to set it up, it
is well worth the effort. I still get 200-400 spams a day. But they go
to the quarantine, not my inbox filters.

My stats just for encouragement:

DSPAM has caught 2792 spams ...learned 5 spams ...scanned 1244 innocent
emails ...with 66 false positives
Your SPAM Ratio is 68.10%
Your SPAM Filtering Accuracy is 99.820% since last reset
Your FP Rate is 4.682% since last reset
Your overall accuracy is 98.384% since last reset
80 corpusfed spams   1283 corpusfed nonspams

> Man, SPAM SUCKS!
Amen, brother! Amen!