[ale] Booting from Promise Ultra133 TX2

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at joimail.com
Wed May 12 09:27:37 EDT 2004

Since all worked before the BIOS update, and obviously the drive and
card are compatible, and work, I don't see what other choice remains
than..... the new BIOS,..... assuming you're using Grub in both cases
and that it's unmodified.

Unfortunately I don't use Knoppix or Grub, so no help there.

The only other possibility I can think of is that some BIOS settings you
used prior to the Update have been altered, or are no longer offered.

Good fortune,

Courtney

John Wells wrote:

> Courtney Thomas said:
>
>>Not sure I understand your problem, but I run a couple of Promise
>>controllers and all I do is select SCSI for my priority boot option in
>>the system BIOS and up she boots.
>>
>>I should add that I am required to have a drive carrier inserted into
>>both slots of the cabinet front, i.e. not actually plugged into the
>>card's channels, for Promise to detect any drive at all.
>>
>>HTH
>>

> To summarize my current problem:
>
> The drive and controller work perfectly if I boot up with Knoppix...i.e.,
> I can mount, read and write the partitions.
>
> After a bios update, I was able to select "SCSI" as a boot option and it
> now tries to boot from the drive on the promise controller (/dev/hde).
> However, after selecting the proper kernel from grub, the system
> *immediately* resets and goes back to post, as if a power failure.
>
> I've tried a number of different options via grub and none seem to work.
> I found a couple of posts on usenet that suggest passing an
> ide0=0xnnn,0xnnn option to the kernel, where the two hex values are found
> by lspci.  I booted up into knoppix and got those values, but no dice.
> Still a reset.
>
> I'm not sure at this point whether this is a simple grub misconfiguration
> or a problem with bios<->card interaction.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> John

s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II