[ale] Booting from Promise Ultra133 TX2

John Wells jb at devsea.com
Wed May 12 09:11:37 EDT 2004

Courtney Thomas said:
> Not sure I understand your problem, but I run a couple of Promise
> controllers and all I do is select SCSI for my priority boot option in
> the system BIOS and up she boots.
>
> I should add that I am required to have a drive carrier inserted into
> both slots of the cabinet front, i.e. not actually plugged into the
> card's channels, for Promise to detect any drive at all.
>
> HTH

To summarize my current problem:

The drive and controller work perfectly if I boot up with Knoppix...i.e.,
I can mount, read and write the partitions.

After a bios update, I was able to select "SCSI" as a boot option and it
now tries to boot from the drive on the promise controller (/dev/hde).
However, after selecting the proper kernel from grub, the system
*immediately* resets and goes back to post, as if a power failure.

I've tried a number of different options via grub and none seem to work.
I found a couple of posts on usenet that suggest passing an
ide0=0xnnn,0xnnn option to the kernel, where the two hex values are found
by lspci.  I booted up into knoppix and got those values, but no dice.
Still a reset.

I'm not sure at this point whether this is a simple grub misconfiguration
or a problem with bios<->card interaction.

Thanks for the help!

John