[ale] TV tuner card problem

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Sat May 8 11:25:50 EDT 2004

> From: Bjorn Dittmer-Roche <bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu>
> Date: 2004/05/08 Sat AM 08:36:45 EDT
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <Ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] TV  tuner card problem
>

> On Sat, 8 May 2004, Jim Philips wrote:
>
> > On Friday 07 May 2004 23:29, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > > I have been soooo spoiled by Suse 8.1-9.0 that my current problems
> > > amplified.
> > >
> > > I thought that Hauppauge TV cards were compatible with Linux, so I bought
> > > one. A WinTV-250 PVR. To my surprise, it was not automatically detected. I
> > > manually added it using Yast2, but it still didn't work.
>
> That's the card I bought (and just asked about!). It's supposed to work
> with ivtv (ivtv.sourceforge.net) not bttv. BTW, many cards that used to
> have the bttv chipset now have a new connexant chipset which is very
> poorly supported. AFAIK, there is almost no way of knowing which cards
> have which, because some of them still say they have the bttv chipset, so
> you are probably best off sticking with the hauppage (not that I've gotten
> mine to work or anything....)
>
> 	bjorn

That sounds right. I have a Hauppauge WinTV card. Bought it maybe a year ago. Don't think it's the 250, just the low-end WinTV card. Anyway - it is supported by the kernel without loading any additional drivers or compiling the kernel. It is found automatically is Mandrake 9.1, SuSE 8.2, SuSE 9.0 and Knoppix 3.3.

I would think that if your Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 card is using the BTTV chipset, it would work.