[ale] Free Zombie PC parts

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Mar 12 09:34:06 EST 2004

Van Loggins wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:50:28 -0500 ale-request at ale.org wrote:
>
> Gee thanks for nothing.

Ouch.  That's kinda harsh to a guy who's offering free hardware Van.

> Pretty bad when there are places like Mailboxes,etc. that will pack
> and ship stuff for you.

Still, you've got to realise what he'd still have to do.  Load the goods
up in a car (assuming he has one).  You don't know how far he might be
from such a location.  I'll tell you up front, I wouldn't do it if I had
the hardware to give away.  The closest place for me is at least a 1
hour round trip.  That's a lot of time/money.

Further, from his response, he didn't even consider having you pay for
someone to pack the goods up, I didn't either when I saw your posting.
I don't know if you've ever shipped any hardware of this size through
someone like Mailboxes, but I'll tell you up front, I have and for a
couple of boxes you'd be looking at probably over $100 is fees for
packing and shipping.  Is that stuff worth that to you?

> I don't live in the Atlanta metro area (thank god), and it's
> inconvenient for me to have to drive down there from where I live (
> almost 2 hours away).

Understood, but this is not his fault.

> I can understand your unwillingness to ship something like this that
> you were offering for free, but since I offered to pay for the
> shipping (and any charges for packing,etc), your stance is a little
> bit on the lame side.

I think that's a bit harsh Van.

> Why did you even bother offering this item on the ale list if you
> only wanted to give it away in person, you could have waited until
> the ale barbecue and then stand up and offer it then.

I've traded emails with him regarding these goods as well and he did
offer to bring it to the bbq.

Take it easy on the guy who's offering to give away some hardware.  He's
trying to do the right thing as well as give someone something for free.
  He could just as easily stick it out on the curb with a sign that says
FREE.  Some schmuck will pick it up.