[ale] hmmm

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 21:12:27 EST 2004

The thing is, all that's in question here are COLORADO state contracts;
so it's a little extreme to yell "protectionism" at those two state
Senators.  The fact is, Government procurement at Federal and state
levels *are* influenced by manipulations due to a prevailing social
attitude or agenda.

This is why the Federal government has 8(a) set-asides for small
disadvantaged businesses; the law is written to give minority business
owners an inroad.  There are more exceptions, both of a permissive and a
restrictive nature, that are both narrower and broader than that
example.  The matter is one of a Government acting for the good of its
citizens.  It's best to view Colorado's move as a "clear conscience"
one; it's not trying to please stockholders with a lower bottom line.

- Jeff

Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at comcast.net>