[ale] What the $%^&*

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 28 14:09:03 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:55:32AM -0500, Tom & JaVonn wrote:
[snip]
> archer:/usr/local/quanta# file quanta-x11-x86
> quanta-x11-x86: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
> archer:/usr/local/quanta# ./quanta-x11-x86
> bash: ./quanta-x11-x86: No such file or directory

I've seen this exact error message when trying to execute a shell script
that was copied from a windows box.  The "shebang" line had a trailing
carriage return which gets interpreted as part of the file name, and
obviously couldn't be found.

Clearly, from your output, the quanta-x11-x86 file is an executable, not
a shell script, so that's not the problem here.  But, perhaps it is
trying to load a resource or shared library and failing?  What does
    ldd /usr/local/quanta/quanta-x11-x86
report?  If that doesn't help, you can use strace, which should at least
tell you exactly what resource isn't found.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9