[ale] EMC Notes and Docs?

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Fri Jan 16 11:26:04 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 11:05, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>   I may be getting to play with an EMC box.  Does anyone have any notes,
> docs etc.  I have an "EMC Equipment List" which starts off with:
>
> 3830-36		SYM 3830 36GB FRAME
>
> Anyone have any ideas or Leads?  We don't have support yet but we're
> looking into what's required before we even touch it (we do own it
> though after Lease buy out).

EMC has 2 lines: Clarion and Symetrix

The Clarion is their low-end line.

Symmetrix is high-end.

You apparently have a Symetrix.

Historically, even when you buy a Sym, EMC keeps the key to the chassis
door.

My understanding is that there are only 2 ways to get the key;
    1) Drop your support contract (propably not a good idea)
    2) Go thru their training and get certified.

I know someone who did the later.  He said he was one of a very small
group of people in the country outside of EMC that had done that.

Over the last year and a half, EMC has been trying to be more customer
friendly, so maybe they have changed this policy.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer