[ale] Comcast linux...

jimbo at gojimbo.com jimbo at gojimbo.com
Tue Jan 6 12:11:48 EST 2004

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:01:55AM -0800, Berlin Brown wrote:
>
>> Funny thing, I was thinking about it, just at the moment of doing it.  I
>> was going to load up redhat, and open up mozilla and pretend that this
>> really
>> is Windows 2003 or something or tell him I have the latest skin, that is
>> why
>> the start and my computer are missing.  But then again, that would be
>> mean.
>
> The problem is that they have ingrained behaviors. For example
>
> "Click Start->run. Type winipcfg. Press release... then renew..."
>
> I know what that means. But the techs only understands this in a Windows
> context. And funnily enough there are times that they are right. One thing
> like about Comcast is the near permanent IP addressing. But after a
> multihour
> outage all bets are off. One time the modem was fine but the machine
> wouldn't
> connect. Called Comcast and told them some type of Windows box. Got the
> Release
> Renew speech, which I laughed off. But it turns out that their server was
> rejecting my dhcpcd's request for the old IP because it had given it to
> someone else. So I had erase the cache (Release) and restart dhcpcd
> (renew).
>

>> I think my problem is because I have a bad Cable connection, that is why
>> it
>> is not picking up the dhcp.  Or it may be the cable modem itself, shrug,
>> have different machines, each one gets a different response.  I did have
>> dig up a old copy of win98 though, sigh.

If you are using redhat, or it's latest incarnation, you can install bind
and the caching-nameserver rpm.  Then you won't have to worry about it.
But... you should be receiving a primary and secondary DNS server from our
DHCP servers.  If you are not, and you are getting an ip address and
default GW then your dhcp client is misconfigured.

BTW, not all of us Comcasters are windows nazis....

-Jimmy