[ale] how to create user with no password

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Feb 26 11:06:55 EST 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 09:43 am, Armsby John-G16665 wrote:
> All,
>
> I am running an out of the box redhat 9.  I am required to set up an
> account for corporate "bdnaadmin' with NO PASSWORD.  It seems that the GUI
> (how embarassing for me) requires a password.  I have tried deleting the
> account, then using "adduser bdnaadmin".  RedHat put one in for me...

Set it up with a password, then go edit it out of /etc/shadow.  The password
is the stuff between the first and second colons on the line that starts
"bdnaadmin".

I don't have to tell you what a bad idea this is. I don't suppose you could
get them to use ssh, instead?  You can set that up so they don't need a
password, but at least there will be some security.

Michael