[ale] lost a motherboard

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Feb 3 10:45:18 EST 2004

Mike Panetta wrote:
> If you have not done it already, I would power the system up with
> nothing but the new (well, known good) video card RAM and CPU plugged
> in to the motherboard.

Tried it, no go.  Replaced the cpu, video card and ram with known good,
same results....

> I have had cascade failures where the PSU blew taking out the
> controller on one of the HDD's such that it would hold the MB in
> reset while the IDE cable was connected.  This can also occur if you
> somehow reconnected the IDE cable to the MB backwards.  This is
> because one of the lines on the IDE connector is reset, and its not
> always buffered/isolated from the main reset line to the cpu/chipset
> so when it gets shorted to ground the MB stays in reset.

I'm going to try it again, just to insure I've got only those few
'parts' connected.

> If you have another CPU, I would also try and swap that out if you
> can do it.  If the 12V portion of your PSU blew but the 5V portion
> was still alive (a very unlikely but possible occurance) your CPU fan
> could have stopped while the CPU was still running.  Of course that
> depends on if the CPU stepdown regulator on the MB gets its power
> from the 5V, 3.3V or the 12V supply.  I am not quite sure how they do
> it these days.

I do have another cpu, tried it, same results.

> Mike
>
> PS: unfortunately the KB leds blinking means nothing.  It just means
> the KB got power and reset itself.

Well it does mean the kb got power and reset itself. :)

--
until later, Geoffrey